A top German diplomat cancels United States visit, defence minister Ursula von der Leyen cancelled her trip to the US on Tuesday and called top US military officer to talk about a spate of Armed Forces official’s scandals following the warrant of an officer doubt of plotting an enthusiastic racially attack.
Ms Leyen, who has din “poor leadership” within the military, asked her the top most 100 Admirals and Generals to present to capital Berlin on Thursday this week to talk about the latest case that involved a first lieutenant and few other sexual violence and pestering scandals.
Ms Von der Leyen said to the reporter, “Systematically we have to ask how a person with right-wing ideology, who can produce a masters’ paper with clear nationalistic views, could continue to build a career within the Bundeswehr.”
She also said, in my opinion, it is very important to address the “bone questions” of “accountability of leadership have morally failed and what is the reason” but she warned that the entire process can take weeks or possibly months.
A spokesperson said the German investigator seized some materials during searches, last week just to determine if more than one people were involved in this scandal.
Vor der Leyen, often called as a next Merkel successor, Angela Merkel’s member of conservatives, she was due to meet United Nations officials in States including US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis in Washington and New York city this week.
Instead of visiting the States she will now travel to Illkirch on Wednesday, a French city south of Strasbourg. This is where the officer was doing his duty with a German Armed Brigade for an update.
Last week, German police have made an arrest of the first Lieutenant, who previously in 2016 falsely registered as a refugee from Syria, they also detained a 24-year-old who had explosive in her possession.
Police claimed both men were posing “xenophobic views”.